DEXTER - The Charleston Road home of Timothy Gustin burned to the ground Sunday afternoon in a blaze reportedly started from an unattended pan of grease on the kitchen stove. No one was seriously injured, but a horse, two dogs and a cat were lost in the fire. The home was uninsured.
Dexter Fire Chief James Gudroe reported the house was fully engulfed in flames by the time emergency crews arrived on the scene shortly after receiving the call at 4:30 p.m. Crews from Dexter, Corinna and Garland went to the fire. Gudroe said Gustin went out to get some firewood from an attached shed. When he returned, the kitchen was ablaze.
Gustin was able to get his 15-year-old daughter, Alisha, out, receiving minor burns in the process. The girl reportedly jumped from a second-story window to be caught by her father below. An attached garage and a nearby barn also were destroyed in the fire. Gudroe said acetylene and propane tanks in the garage added to the fireís intensity.
Two other children, Timmy, 15, and Maicee, 13, were not home at the time of the fire, nor was Gustinís girlfriend, Dawn Cookson.
Reports indicated the home was built in 1875 and had been in the family since 1958. The home was located about three miles from the center of Dexter.
|Back to News||Home||Print This Story|