DEXTER - The Dexter Historical Society will take part in the EXPO at Guilford on April 2nd and 3rd. The society's exhibit will feature many items from the long history of the Fay & Scott Company including photographs, the charter of the machinists union, lists of employees, and cast iron doorstops.
The annual newsletter has been mailed and is also available to be read on the society website at www.DexterHistoricalSociety.com.
The new book, "Around Ripley" by Frank Spizuoco and the 2004 society calendar commemorating the Dexter Fire Department are still available for purchase by calling 924-5721.
Renovation of the former Abbott Mill office into the new Abbott Museum is progressing speedily with a mix of professional contractors and dedicated volunteers sharing the work. The new siding was installed on the lower portion of the building, a new foundation was poured to replace the old granite blocks and two new doors were fitted on the lower level. The new furnace was put in, after wall and attic insulation was in place. Various wall, ceiling and floor treatments are currently being worked on. The society is planning to have the upper floor open to the public by this summer.
Recent acquisitions of interest include many photographs from the Thurston and Puffer families donated by Walter Field and samples of a set of dishes that belonged to Martha Coolidge Barton (1814 - 1890) who lived on the Upper Garland Road in what was later known as the Ruby Towle house. The dishes had traveled to Missouri long ago with some Barton descendants.
|Back to News||Home||Print This Story|