By Diana Bowley of the Bangor Daily News - DEXTER: A Dexter Middle School student who allegedly scrawled a bomb threat on a bathroom wall last month has been expelled.
Directors at their recent meeting voted 10-1 to expel the student for an indefinite length of time.
State law does not put a time limit on expulsions, according to SAD 46 Superintendent Kevin Jordan. "Our hope is the student will get some help," he said recently.
The bomb threat was one of four threats discovered in late September and early October at the middle and high schools. Police have the other threats under investigation.
In other recent action, directors voted unanimously to accept the regional planning committee’s decision to pursue a new regional unit partnership with SAD 4, and the towns of Willimantic and Harmony. A potential plan must be filed with the Department of Education by Dec. 1.
"We’re moving forward," Jordan said.
Both Dexter Regional High School and the Tri-County Technical Center received $5,000 planning grants from the MELMAC Education Foundation for aspirations and student tracking after graduation. Both schools intend to develop plans and then apply for foundation grants of up to $65,000 to implement the plans.
Of the 70 planning grants requested this year from schools, 40 were funded, according to Jordan.
"We felt fortunate we got two in this district," Jordan said.
|Back to News||Home||Print This Story|