A Dexter Winter Festival Thank You From the Bottom Of Our Hearts
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 |
DEXTER - The 2009 theme for the Dexter Winter Festival, held on February 13-15 , "Valentine's Day- The Heart of Maine" only seemed appropriate. The Wassookeag Snowmobile Club would like to thank the following people from the bottoms of our hearts:
The Dexter Town Office Staff, Dave Pearson, Art Roy and the Police Department, the Dexter Fire Department, Mike Delaware and the Highway Crew, Steve Wilbur, all judges, the Key Club gals, Rita Fox and her wonderful kitchen staff & special family members, Steve Brown & Family, Rock of Ages, Bob Titus, the super Ripley Trail Riders, to Newport, Corinna and Dover Clubs and to all the very active members of the Wassookeag Snowmobile Club and a special thank you to the "public".
Without your support and generous donations, all the events could not succeed.
It takes many hours of planning and requires many volunteers for Winter-fest to take place, and we proved that we do live in the Heart of Maine!
Dexter's 9th Annual Winter Festival Results
Where' s the Beef Raffle winners
The Wassookeag Snowmobile Club held a successful " Where's the Beef Raffle" during Dexter's Winter Festival on February 13-15.
Approximately 1400 tickets were sold over a two week span. The proceeds benefited the Ripley Trail Riders and the Wasssookeag Snowmobile Club.
Two winners received $250 worth of meat from the P & L Country Market in Dexter.
The first winner was Lucille Irvin from Ripley and the second winner was Gerry Wright from Winslow.
Maine Highlands FCU's Chili Contest
Rita Fox of Dexter was the winner of this year's Maine Highlands FCU's Chili Cook-Off. Rita's chili won the most votes among the judges Friday, February 13, as part of Dexter's Winterfest.
Second place was won by Scott Pawnell, and third was John Aitken, both of Dexter.
Snow Sculpture Competition at Dexter Regional High School Results:
Town of Dexter Snow Sculpture Results:
- Seniors - Class of 2009 featuring the Heart(s) of Maine
- Juniors - Class of 2010 featuring Lovely Loon
- Sophmores - Class of 2011 featuring the Love Boat
- Juniors - Class of 2012 featuring the Heart in Maine
- Honorable Mention - DRHS Faculty
Wassookeag Snowmobile Parade Results:
- Best Family - The Calhoun Family
- Best Organization - Girl Scouts
- Best Overall = Girl Scouts
Dexter's Winter Festival Radar Run Results
- Youngest - Ben Smith
- Best Costume - Chip Wakefield as Cupid
- Most Members - Ripley Trailriders
- Best Antique Sled - Abigail Simmons 67 Skidoo
- Best Decorated Family - Smith Family of Dexter
- Best Decorated Business - Dexter Lumber
What started out as a quite, cold and windy winter day ended in a very exciting, large and successful turnout for the Wassookeag Snowmobile Club's radar runs, in Dexter, held February 14.
Attending were 87 different racers from Lincoln, Kennebunk, Thorndike, Skowhegan, Winterport, Solon, Holden, Bar Harbor, Stockton Springs, Saco, Scarborough, Lyman, Windsor, Litchfield, Bangor, Bolton MA and all surrounding towns.
A tally of 639 trips were made down the 1000' ice track as racers tried for their fastest speed of the day.
The winners of the 23 different classes were:
Marty Hughes 16.5 Stock Class 0-440
Tim Lary 86.2 441-500, Tim Lary 88.0 501-600 single pipe, Mark Hanson 93.6 501-600 multi pipe, 101.4 601-700 single, Kevin Kearney 108.9 601-700 multi-pipe, Jeremy Goulette 108.6 701-800 single pipe, Kevin Kearney 109.4 701-800 multi pipe, Kevin Kearney 109.4 801-900, JR Rollins 107.6 901-1000, Scott Dyer 106.9.
0-440 Tim Lary 86.7 441-500, Tim Lary 87.6 501-600, Ray Nickerson 101.4 601-700, Alexis Mitchell 103.9 701-800, Chris Wyman 110.7 801-900, Todd Lawrence 118.4 901-1000, Tim Reynolds 123.8
Bob Bower 138.8
Classic Class No Entries
Randy Nye 93.4 4, Stroke Aaron Cook 105.5
JR Rollins 87.7.
Trophies were given to each first place winners and $100 was awarded to Bob Bower from Litchfield Maine for the fastest speed of the day. Bob was driving a Yamaha RX1 Turbo at 138.8 miles an hour.
DRDC Merchants Gift Basket Give-A-Way during Winter Festival
Dexter Regional Development Corporation was pleased be part of Dexter's 9th Annual Winter Festival by sponsoring the Dexter Merchant Gift Basket Give-A-Way on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, February 12th at noon to December 15th.
It is Free to enter… Stop by the participating businesses and fill out the DRDC entry form. The LUCKY Winner is Ira Oliver of Dexter!
The merchants who generously donated gift certificates to the basket include:
The Dexter Regional Development Corporation would like to thank all the businesses for supporting DRDC in their efforts and for giving back to Dexter Shoppers.
- Brewster Inn
- Country Charm Gift Shop
- Dexter Café
- Dexter Lumber
- Dexter Tire Discount
- Dexter Variety
- Diane's Beauty Shop (by Diane)
- Diane's Beauty Shop (by Holly)
- Donna Kraft-Smith Massage
- Keith's Gun Shop
- Log Cabin Grocery
- Premier Home Video
- S & S Electronics
- Snap of the Dragon Greenhouse
- Spring Street Greenhouse
- Toots Variety
- Vickie's Hair Attractions
For the latest pictures of 2009 Dexter's Winter Festival, click here.
If you have pictures that you would like included in the photo album, please email to judy@DexterMaine.com
----}} 2009 Dexter Winter Festival Events and Schedule
On the weekend of February 13th thru the 15th, 2009, the Town of Dexter and Wassookeag Snowmobile Club will host the 9th Annual Winter Festival on Lake Wassookeag.
The theme is applied to the snow sculpture and other events so… think of Valentine related subjects and decorate for the event. Think of what “the heart of Maine” means to you.
Families, get all the kids involved for a fabulous Valentine theme for the weekend and enjoy this winter that’s full of so much beautiful snow.
ENJOY THE FESTIVAL!
REMEMBER, DEXTER IS KNOWN AS “THE HEART OF MAINE” Below is a schedule of the events which have been confirmed!
Friday, February 13:
These events will be at the Wassookeag Snowmobile Clubhouse to benefit the Harold Wilkins Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Dexter Regional Development Corporation "Merchant Basket Give-A-Way" Thursday thru Sunday at participating Dexter Businesses
- Presentation of the School Snow Sculpture Competition Cash Awards at DRHS Gym at Noon
- Chili Cook-Off at Maine Highlands RFCU 11 AM-2 PM at the CU to benefit Ending Hunger in Maine judged by the public
- Valentine's Day Story Time Tea at Abbott Memorial Library 4 PM
- Spaghetti Supper 5:00-6:30 PM (Donations accepted), a Snowmobile Ride-In at 6:30 PM
- Snowmobile Ride-in 6:30 PM
Saturday, February 14:
- Snowmobile Club Open House 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Snowmobile Radar-Run on Lake Wassookeag - 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Snow Sculpture Competition at the Wassookeag Recreation Area
- Snowmobile Club Open House 8:00 AM thru 3:00 PM
- North Country Riding Club Horse & Wagon Rides 10 am to 2 pm Downtown Dexter (weather permitting)
- Roller Skating at Town Hall – 2:00-4:00 PM
- Old time contra dance at Universalist Church 7 PM
- FIREWORKS! 7 PM on Little Lake Wassookeag
- Festival Adult Dance at the K of C Hall - 7:30 PM.
Sunday, February 15
- Snowmobile Club Open House 7 AM to 3 PM
- Snowmobile Parade-11:00 AM (Forming at McFarland Street)
- Snow Sculptures & Parade Awards Presentation at Snowmobile Club-Noon
- Drawing of the "Where's the Beef Raffle" at noon at the Snowmobile Club (Need not be present to win). Two prizes of $250 worth of beef with tickets available from Ripley Trail Riders and Wassookeag Snowmobile Club members.
RADAR RUN: The Wassookeag Snowmobile Club will host the event on Lake Wassookeag at the Dexter Recreation Area off Route 23. Registration will Begin at 8:00 AM and competition will continue until 2:00 PM. The entry fee will be $5 for one run or $10 for three runs. Track distance is 1,000 ft. For more information call Matt McKusick at 924-5074.
ADULT DANCE: Saturday night at the K of C Hall in Dexter, Doors will open at 7:30 PM and a DJ will be playing 8:00 PM until midnight. There will NOT be a silent auction at the dance this year. And admission is $10 per person this year. A basket raffle at the door. “Where's the Beef” raffle tickets will be on sale.
SNOWMOBILE PARADE: Parade participants will gather at McFarland Street (near the Highway Garage) beginning at 10:00 AM on Sunday. The parade will be gin promptly at 11:00 AM. Judging will take place as the parade comes to the end on the Four Seasons Adventure Trail (old rail bed) behind the Dexter Fire Department. Awards will be presented immediately following the parade at the Wassookeag Snowmobile Club, Number Ten Road. Registration is required. Forms can be picked up at the Dexter Town Office or on the website: www.dextermaine.org. There is no entry fee. Prizes will be awarded to the top place in three competition catagories:
3) Best Costume
Prizes will also be awarded to the winner in two categories;
1) Best Antique Snowmobile
2) Youngest Snowmobile Operator
3) Club being represented with the most members
SNOW SCULPTURES: The Dexter Regional High School Class Competition will be judged on Friday, February 13th.
Cash prizes will be given to each of the four participating classes: 1) $100, 2) $75, 3) $50, and 4) $25
There are three categories for the open competition (at the Lake Wassookeag Beach Area);
3) Best in Show for which prizes will be awarded to the best entries. Registration is required by Wednesday, February 11th to compete. Forms can be picked up at the Dexter Office or on the website: www.dextermaine.org. There is no entry fee.
Registration is required by Wednesday, February 11th to compete. Forms can be picked up and drop off at the Dexter Town Office or on the website: www.dextermaine.org. There is no entry fee.
For more Festival information, call the Dexter Town Office at 924-7351 or visit the Town website at www.DexterMaine.org.
WHERE'S THE BEEF RAFFLE: 2 Winners will receive $250 worth of meat from the P & L Country Market in Dexter. Proceeds to benefit the Ripley Trail Riders & the Wassookeag Snowmobile Club. Ticket are $2 each and will be available during the dance. See a member of the clubs for tickets. Drawing Sunday at the WSC house at noon.
|NCRC offers Horse Drawn Wagon Rides during Dexter's 9th Annual Winter Festival Wednesday, February 04, 2009
DEXTER - As part of the Dexter Winter Festival, The North Country Riding Club will once again be offering Horse & Wagon Rides on Saturday, February 14, 2009 on Main Street in Dexter. NCRC has given hundreds of rides to happy passengers each year during the Winter Festival.
Amie of Misty Blue Acres Carriage and Wagon Rides (www.mistyblue-acres.com), is harnessing her team of beautiful Belgium's and offering rides to the public starting at 11 am and going until 2 pm. (weather permitting)
Bring your blankets, your family and friends for a ride through the streets of Downtown Dexter for only $3 for Adults, Youths $2 and anyone under the age of 5 rides FREE! Hot drinks and goodies will also be offered in the municipal parking lot as part of NCRC fundraising efforts for the 2009 season.
North Country Riding Club, "Uniting Family and Community", invites you to become a member or to enjoy all their family oriented events this year. For more information on becoming a member or about an event, call the NCRC Media Correspondent at 207.924.3067 or visit NCRC's website at www.DexterRidingClub.com or email judy@DexterRidingClub.com.
Storytime Sweetheart Tea Wednesday, January 14, 2009
DEXTER - Instead of sending boxed Valentine's Day cards and purchased chocolates, the staff of the Abbott Memorial Library in Dexter will hold a Sweetheart Tea on Friday, February 13th at 4 P.M. for all their favorite little storytime sweethearts.
All storytime children and former storytime children, are invited to attend and bring along their favorite doll or stuffed animal.
A formal tea will be served (on fine china) featuring little sandwiches and fancy tea cakes.
Guests are asked to dress up and wear their fanciest jewelry at this tea party.
Space is limited so please R.S.V.P the library at 924-7292 by Saturday, February 7th.
Valentine's half-price sale Friday, February 06, 2009
DEXTER - The Dexter Sunrise Kiwanis Thrift Shop will hold a Valentines half-price sale on Friday and Saturday, February 13 and 14 in conjunction with the Dexter Winterfest Days. Clothing, miscellaneous household goods, books, some furniture, and much, much more will be sold at half-price. The shop is located at 74 Grove Street, Dexter, with hours 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
All proceeds will benefit Kiwanis community programs. Dexter Sunrise Kiwanis sponsors several programs that benefit children in our area, such as the Pre-school Reading Program and the Bike Safety Rodeo. It also gives scholarships and citizenship awards to deserving students.
For more information, call Corinne Neal, Club President, at 924-5522 or the Thrift Shop at 717-6153.
Maine Highlands Federal Credit Union's Chili Cook-Off Contest Monday, January 26, 2009
DEXTER - As part of Dexter's 9th Annual Winter Festival, Maine Highlands Federal Credit Union is hosting a Chili Cook-Off Contest on Friday February 13 – 11:00- 2:00 on Main Office, 73 Main St., Dexter
1st prize - $50.00
- Participants must bring in a full crock-pot of chili no later than 10:45 a.m.
- All crock-pots will be numbered
- Starting at 11:00 a.m., members who wish to act as judges, may pay $2.00 to taste all the chili and vote for their favorite
- All funds collected will benefit Maine Credit Union's Campaign For Ending Hunger
- At 2:00 p.m., the chili that gets the most votes will win 1st prize, second most votes will receive 2nd prize, and third most votes will receive 3rd prize
2nd prize – 25.00
3rd prize - $15.00
All crock-pots should be picked up no later than 6:00 pm that day.
For pictures of Dexter's Winter Festival, click here. If you have pictures that you would like
included in the photo album, please email to judy@DexterMaine.com